The unusual times in which we are living has shifted the spotlight on the behavior of many.
- Greedy businesses were always there, as were generous ones, but now we hear about them in different ways.
- There were always heroic health care workers, and robotic ones, but now the positive stories are being told.
- People always had tyrants for managers and magnanimous leaders, but new conditions have brought those inherent traits to light.
- We always had some great teachers and some not-so-great teachers, only now parents have a better perspective on who is in each category.
- We’ve elected proactive leaders and reactive leaders and the crisis is bringing the differences to light.
In short, there have always been both stellar and challenged organizations and individuals, but the change in circumstances alters the window through which we can see them. Governors are now holding national press conferences, teachers are Zooming into our living rooms and nurses are posting pictures about their working conditions. We have a different view of strengths, sacrifices and shortcomings.
Whether your work is shared widely or you do it in isolation, act as if the world could see how you perform. Be one of the good ones, if only for yourself.