The local credit union put a twist on the usual “visit from Santa” by hosting a live reindeer to celebrate Christmas. His handler, Mrs. Claus, wouldn’t let me pet the reindeer but she did share some Reindeer Facts that could impress the guests at your holiday gathering:
- Reindeer hair is hollow, and the warm air is trapped inside each hair. Their coat is soft, dense, warm and waterproof.
- Reindeer differ from other deer in that both males and females have antlers.
- Reindeer antlers are a soft, rubbery, mass of blood and marrow covered with soft furred skin called velvet. Toward the end of August, the blood stops flowing and the bone begins to harden.
- Reindeer have broad hooves, designed for walking in snow and ice.
- Reindeer can pull up to twice their own weight, making them an ideal animal for pulling a sleigh.
The entire time of the visit, Mrs. Claus remained in character and spoke as if the reindeer next to her would be flying Santa around tonight. Who knows!!
Two takeaways from my encounter with this famous animal: 1) Santa is seemingly everywhere so kudos to the credit union for doing something different, and 2) If you do an event, bonus points for doing it right. Not only did they have the reindeer, but Mrs. Claus had a beautiful costume, cards with reindeer facts, cookies and candy canes, etc. It was a celebration.
I hope you’ve been on the Nice List and the reindeer finds you tonight!